Thursday, June 12, 2008

We're taking bets that I have a thing to say about Text Messaging...

Open Letter to the Text Messagers of the World,

I understand that you have a need to be in constant communication with your BFFs, family, TV shows, sports teams, and random people you don't know but might have something important to say. You have become part of the rudest society we have ever had. You text message just about anywhere you want to. I half expect to go to a wedding in the next year and see the best man texting throughout the ceremony.

I recently went to a conference and watched people text message during keynote speakers, presentations, meals, conversations with friends, conversations with potential bosses and colleagues and no one seemed to think it was rude but me. WTF? How have we become such awful people who really don't communicate with each other? Being present is no longer important to anyone. We are always looking for something better. What we are doing in the present time is not good enough.

I beg you to stop doing this around me and others who want to spend quality time with you. Text when you are alone and can't connect with people at that moment. Better yet call them and talk. Wait better yet go find them and talk. Wait actually introduce yourself to new people and make new friends. Have actual conversations that mean something using real words and not abbreviations. Please rescue our communication challenged society. Thank you.

1 comment:

Danielle Athanas said...

I am so with you on this. I've started helping out my church youth group and between text messaging and general cell phone usage... after two weeks I'm ready to start collecting them in a basket before we start! So rude, so annoying. I really hope someone smacks some sense into our culture...