Monday, August 25, 2008

We're taking bets that I have observed and thought...

Here are a few of my observations over the last few days.

* It seems to me that the more money you have the more you believe that rules and regulations do not apply to you. The University I work at has a lot of students whose parents have made a lot of money. Their expectations of what is allowed and what is not is very skewed. No you cannot park any where you want. Blocking a Fire Road is not allowed. Since you are not handicapped you cannot park in that handicap space. It really is ridiculous and this is just the parents. We wonder why rich people are considered snobs and their kids are brats. It is the parents fault.

* We will never see an Olympics quite like Beijing 2008. Michael Phelps and 8 gold medals, Bolt breaking two world records and not looking like he was even tired, the US basketball dream teams, US track failures too numerous to mention, Japan beating the US in softball and China putting on the most impressive opening ever. It was quite an Olympics and if you didn't watch anything I am sorry you missed it.

* Stupidity comes in many sizes and places. In my own backyard of New Haven stupidity has taken on a new level. The Youth Baseball League of New Haven has banned a 9 year old from pitching because he is too good. He throws 40 mph and is accurate. Some of the parents complained that their children were scared. When I faced Gary Burnham (who currently plays minor league baseball) I was scared everytime I faced him, but I didn't complain. The kid was a freak of nature with a rocket arm. How can you do this to a 9 yr. old kid? I am glad his parents are meeting with a lawyer and I hope they win because to be the best you have to play the best. Every kid not getting to face Jericho Scott is being robbed of his chance to make contact and get a hit. Adversity and greatness should never stop us from trying and these bozos have ruined the great sport of children's baseball.

1 comment:

Maggie Moo said...

Kids are becoming such pansies these days. They're so coddled it's ridiculous. God forbid they should fail-that would be horrible! Stupid parents. I hope they are prepared to be changing diapers for the rest of their lives-'cause Lord knows these kids can't wipe their own butts.

PS. I don't know why I'm so angry about this...I think I need to hug it out.