Thursday, September 25, 2008

We're taking bets that sometimes people go too far at football games...

This past Friday I went to the UCONN/Baylor Football game with my father and brother. My brother and I have season tickets and we are pretty familiar with the people around us. It was a very close game and the Huskies didn't play so well, but they won in the end.

During the very exciting fourth quarter there was a pretty sketchy call made by the referees against the Huskies. The gentleman(I use the term loosely) behind me was with a friend and his two children. I had not seen him before. Well he lost his mind and started screaming that the Referee was "on the take." Now that hasn't been said since the 1920's so I thought that was funny. The play was then reviewed by the replay judge. The referee came on the speakers and said the call was still not overturned. I guy behind me then said the most awful thing I have ever heard at a sporting event.

"I will find you after and kill you in front of your friends and family that love you."

I was absolutely blown away by this comment. I looked at the guy like he was crazy and my brother asked for clarification on what he said. Now my job is to confront 18 to 22 year olds on behavior and educate them on how to behave around others. When they use statements such as "gay" to mean "stupid" or the term retarded for anything I say something. If one of my students said something as awful as this I would go up one side of them and down the other. Of course this was at a public event and was it my business? So I sat and stewed for a little bit until Mr. Offensive said to his friend loudly, "I am speechless." I lost it and turned to him and said...

"Speechless? Obviously NOT because you just said the most awful thing that I have ever heard a human being say at a sporting event. I hope these are not your children because that was disgusting. Who in their right mind says that? That was awful."

I turned around to watch the next play, but I realized I wasn't done. I then said...

"I cannot believe you actually said that." He then said, "I think we get your point." Which I then replied to him, "I don't think so because most human beings would have apologized to me and the people around you. You haven't even said you are sorry for the horrible thing you said. You are not even fit to be called a human being."

I might have gone a little overboard, but I felt it needed to be said. I still can't believe I heard another person say that and it wasn't on the TV show 24.  What do you all think?


7 comments:

Danielle Athanas said...

No, that's absolutely ridiculous. People get out of control at sporting events in general. We were at a HS football game with friends last weekend and there was this guy who was pretty bad and needed a muzzle. He didn't threaten death, but for HS kids he was putting an awful lot of pressure on them. It's just a game people, come on.

Danielle Athanas said...

And I should add... love the "and not on 24" comment. That made me giggle.

Tom said...

Was this guy drinking at the time? I admit, sometimes I get a little carried away at games, but to say something like that, in front of children no less, unacceptable. Way to stand up to him, and I am sure that he was quite afraid that you were going to make it physical, because I can't imagine many people bigger than you there, except for the guys on the field.


That would have never happened at an FSU game by the way :-).

Mica said...

I have just sat in front of my computer trying to think of what to write to this... but you've got it all... its just baffling that that sort of thing is even marginally acceptable in public or otherwise. did anyone else say anything?

GMadrid said...

Danielle - Glad I made ya giggle.

TF - I am sure crazier things happen at FSU that cause NTAs, but he was pretty sober in my view.

Mica - No one said a word. My brother said it was probably because scary Greg came out to play.

Maggie Moo said...

I love that you are the guy who spoke up. Just goes to show why so many people respect you, even when you are scary Greg.

My (late) thought on this of course is the same as everyone-but also that it's a lot to yell.

Anonymous said...

T and I were at the embarrassing Patriots game on Sept 21. Pats fans of course were in the majority, but there were a few Dolphins fans scattered through out the stadium. There were two of them about 10 rows in front of us and they celebrated with every good play, every call that went their way. Most of which I couldn't blame them for. The DOLPHINS beating the PATRIOTS!!!????!!! But there was this one Pats fan that got a little bit out of hand...went over board and said some pretty awful things. A guy yelled down the row to the Pats fan saying to watch the language - there are kids around. I was proud of that guy, and a little ashamed that I didn't say anything. The thing that impressed me was that the out-of-line Pats fan went over to the guy with kids and apologized as he was leaving the game. Not only that, but he shook the hands of the Dolphins fans. Sorry to ramble on, but it makes me happy to know that I know some one that speaks up for what is right and I hope I can learn from you Greg.

Thank you for sharing this story.