Saturday, February 12, 2011

We're taking bets that you need to love what you do...

Many people who read my blog know that I am currently unemployed. I decided that my time as a Residence Hall Director was up and I needed to move to a position that would be a promotion. I finally had my master's degree (Which I struggled to get because I was stubborn and have a buccanneer type learning style.) and know I could be an asset on a larger level at any college or University.

Now I loved being a Hall Director and was in the job for longer than anyone would have expected. Most people thought I was crazy continuing to live with college students, but it really was an amazing experience. I was able to end having one of the most incredible staffs I had ever had. (They might think they were the best, but there was no such thing.) I was able to meet and hopefully help thousands of students. I definitely had closer relationships with some as I am friends with many of them still today, but I really enjoyed all my students. Some of my favorites were the one's who got in trouble, met with me a number of times, finally got it and ended up graduating. There were definitely some trying times including a stabbing, a hate crime and other racial issues, baseball riots, 9/11, threats of violence, fights, and a bunch of students who died over the years. I always hope that we handled those issues and help the students to become stronger adults. So now it is time for something new.

I have applied to 64 different jobs at 58 different institutions in higher education. Most of these jobs I have not heard even one word from. I've had a few phone interviews and some on campus interivews and the right fit never happened. With one school I still haven't even been contacted about the job even though it has been 2 months since my last on campus interview. It is tough, especially since I know that I was very qualified for at least 80% of those jobs and some of them I was probably over qualified. Not all of them were in Residence Life, but that is where my passion lies. Additionally, I have applied for numerous jobs outside of higher education and have not even got a sniff of a job from any of those places. It is tough, but I am hopeful every day and know I have to keep trying.

That leads me to the point of today's blog. If I don't get a job in the next six months I probably will have to give up what I love to do and find a completely new path for my life. It pains me to think about it, but it definitely could be a reality. The funniest thing is that I never intended a path of higher education administrator, but I loved my college experience and had someone (Dean Ted Zern) who recognized I might be good in this field. I never was interested in Residence Life, but after my first couple of years I really couldn't imagine leaving it. I know that you are never to old to reinvent yourself, but I am definitely scared about it. I need to work my ass off the next six months and make sure I leave it all on the field because if it is the end I will go down swinging. Regardless it makes me feel better to have put it out there. Wish me luck because it is going to be fun.

No comments: