Tuesday, July 31, 2007

We're taking bets that I am getting on my high horse...

So I was listening to NPR on my way home from the gym today. I know that makes me sound kind of snobby, but it is a fact. NPR is actually a good place to get news you should be hearing. Anyway, I heard this story about a crazy racist town in Louisiana. Now you need to read the article or better yet listen to the link at the top before you read on. I was so outraged I wanted to drive to the town and punch that crazy kid and cut off his mullet and give him a 80's Bobby Brown haircut. Then I would find his parents and kick his dad in the nuts and give his mom the worst titty twister of her life.

How is this not on every single news channel and national news? I just don't get it. Three fucking nooses on a tree!!! I understand we have not evolved that much since the 60's. We all think that we have, but it is just a bunch of BS. We need a new Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy in America. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Al Gore and just aren't doing what we need done. Where are our charismatic leaders that inspired people to march on Washington or try to affect positive change in our society. Our society communicates as well as a rock to a tree. Yes we have the means, but no one is truly saying anything.

I know that I am not perfect by any means. I have my white privilege although I am a strong part Mexican. I do stereotype sometimes. I think that I give everyone a fair shake though. If you are an asshole it does not matter whether you are black, white, green or purple. You are still an asshole. I think that is truly how we should be judged. By how we treat others and interact in our daily lives. If you are have your own blog please invited others to read this or at the very least post the story to your blog. Encourage others to do the same. Maybe we can make this national news by getting bloggers across our great nation to show their outrage of racism in our country!!!

2 comments:

Maggie Moo said...

"Where are our charismatic leaders that inspired people to march on Washington or try to affect positive change in our society."

They don't exist anymore Greg-and when people rise up to make a difference they are beaten back down or called out for going against the mainstream....but I think you have the right idea-people like you who are passionate about equality are the ones who have to step up and work the respect on a personal level on a daily basis.

It's not enough, but unfortunately, for the moment, it has to be because no one wants to make waves and people are complacent.

In terms of the article and the crazy racist town, it makes me angry and sad that these are the children who are the future-and what makes it worse is that these crazy white students who hate people who are not just like them are taking a stand and making a (negative) impact on their community, but no one is trying to stop them.

It's sick, really...

Thank you for writing about this Greg.

Danielle Athanas said...

You are right. And I have posted.