Saturday, May 14, 2011

We're taking bets that I want you to want me...

So I heard from two more schools this week that they were not going to continue to pursue my job candidacy. Sadly I have not been applying to jobs just in higher education, but I have also applied to about 75 non-higher ed jobs. At least most colleges and universities contact you some way or another. Not in other places.It is starting to get downright discouraging. I have been keeping my head up for 10 1/2 months, but I feel like dropping it. Now I can already hear what most people I know are going to say:

"It will work out soon."
"Everything happens for a reason."
"They're fools if they don't want to work with you."
"It's their loss."
"You'll find something. You just have to be patient."
"It will be alright."
"You are an idiot to have left your job in this economy. What were you thinking?"(Okay no one has actually said that, but they think it.)

I do really appreciate it, but it is starting to get real old. I just don't get it. I am a very hard worker. I am intelligent, sometimes charismatic, thoughtful, and a little bit funny. I was very good at my job. I understand college students and they appreciate my willingness to listen. Heck parents even like me for the most part. I am creative and have been on the forefront of many technology advances in student affairs. I am willing to learn, take criticism, keep up with the latest in higher education and strive to be better every single day. I know the right answers when I interview. I would be a very good supervisor for professional staff. I finally have my master's degree and I know it took forever, but I liked being a Hall Director. I know I am outspoken at times, but I think we always need to challenge each other. I don't always have the cleanest office, but I work on it. I know I can be a little arrogant at times because I know I am good at what I do. I am not perfect by any means, but I would work my tail off for anyone that would give me the opportunity. I just need to get a chance.

I am starting to understand how people turn to negative vices in these trying times. Thankfully I have a great support system starting with Theresa, my family and Ian. I know that things will get better. It's time for the pity party to end. Some fun times tonight, Tuesday and Thursday at midnight will make things better. Thanks for indulging my need to get things off my chest. I appreciate every one who cares about me and reads this blog. Thanks. Every minute can be a new beginning and mine starts now.

No comments: