Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We're taking bets that times are a changing...

Here are a few of my observations and rants from the last few days.

* It is really nice when you get to have some one on one time with a grandparent. My grandfather and I spent most of yesterday together. He talked to me about his childhood, meeting my grandmother (whom I never met because she died 10 months before I was born), the birth of my father, meeting Errol Flynn, and going temporarily AWOL from the Air Force during WWII. It made me realize that I have never really had alone time with him, but rather it was always a family gathering. With the exception of his eyes and reluctance to always take his medicine he is in pretty good health (He's 85ish). I am lucky to have him still in my life. He talked a lot about needing to stay positive in life and being grateful for what you have. This was exactly the conversation I needed and know it will keep me going for quite a while.

* While I was having lunch at Friendly's with my grandfather I noticed three women eating lunch at the table next to us. They looked like colleagues, but also friends. They spent 75 to 80% of the time using their cell phones to text, check e-mails, play games and avoid each other. I am disgusted that we have reached this point in our society. I know technology is cool, but what about face to face time. Is it really going away? If I had a smart phone I probably never would have had such a great conversation with my grandfather. We are losing the ability to communicate face to face. It's amazing because a lot of times people don't even try to confront issues anymore they just avoid them by cutting off people using their technology. Something needs to change because our society is going to become worse for it.

* It is amazing how much you can be affected by bad weather. I feel like this rain is never going to end and the sun will never come out. It is nothing that has happened along the Mississippi River and in Louisiana, but it makes me tired. Annie sang that, "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" but she really is just a liar. Of course I am sure with a certain person's pact with the devil it will be gorgeous on Sunday. Not that I want it to rain for all of my favorite's but their luck is amazing.

* Here is a list of the movies I plan on seeing this summer with Ian and/or Theresa:
Thor (Seen)
Bridesmaids (Seen)
Pirates of the Caribbean 4
Hangover 2
Kung Fu Panda 2
X-Men: First Class
Super 8
Green Lantern
Bad Teacher
Cars 2
Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon
Larry Crowne
Zookeeper
Horrible Bosses
Harry Potter 7 pt. 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Friends with Benefits
Cowboys vs. Aliens
Crazy, Stupid, Love
The Help
30 Minutes or Less
One Day

Care to join me/us?

1 comment:

Dragonflygrrl said...

I love what you said about conversing with your grandfather.
I too have a grandmother {83} who i am lucky to still have in my life.
we used to go out to lunch all the time but for a while i guess i had let life get in the way. well last week we had a very nice lunch together. and it dawned on me again what a cool lady she is.

for a very long time i resisted getting a smart phone because it disturbs me what everyone is up to these days. i feel like everyone is not really here. it reminds me a little of the movie surrogates.
{i'm strange- so i wont even try to explain lol}
but now that i have a smart phone i have an unbending rule about not using it while visiting family or friends, during meals, and at other times that i dont think its appropriate. it's common sense, but apparently thats in short supply these days.
well best of luck battling the weather blues {i hear ya there}
and enjoy your summer movies.
i plan on seeing a few of those myself.
thanks for being a cool guy with similar interests. i love reading your posts.