Thursday, March 24, 2011

We're taking bets that I have been a pondering...

Here are a few of my observations over the last week. Some of them might even be profound, but I am not sure.

* American Idol definitely has the best talent since Carrie Underwood won the title, but I think the judges are getting a little soft. They praised every single person this week even though there was definitely some down performances. I know Jennifer and Steven don't want to be downers, but it is getting a little ridiculous. I really think that this show is going to decline very fast once Simon comes out with his X-Factor show. He is the only one that is consistently honest. Randy has tried this season, but you can tell he doesn't like the boos. I hope they get tougher once they get down to the top 5 because they need to give them criticism that will help them get better.

* I cannot stop listening to Adele's new CD. It is like heaven on my ears. She is amazing. You all should go out and buy it or at least steal it from the internet. I will at least use my Rhapsody. Check out Jennifer Hudson's new one as well. Not quite Adele, but damn good.

* There has been a lot of heavy events in the last few weeks. No matter what happens we (By we I mean citizens of the United States on both sides of the political aisle and definitely the middle too) seem to be throwing blame on everyone we can rather than take positive action. Now I know many of you have donated money to Japan to help them during their tragedy. More of you have probably blogged about the dictatorships in Libya, Saudi Arabia, China and any other place you can think isn't democratic. Many of you have been appalled by Charlie Sheen and his antics, but it has made for great water cooler conversation. How many of us have taken truly positive action? I believe that Obama screwed up with his handling of Libya and instead of standing by his decision he hasn't said much other than he is going to come up with a comprehensive plan with the Middle East. (BTW Libya isn't in the Middle East. No really check a map.) I guess it makes me wonder where all of our inspirational leaders have gone? Has technology really made us a passive society that would rather Twitter about issues than come up with solutions? I know tons of people protested in Wisconsin, but I watched a lot of TV on the issue from both sides. Sadly, Governor Walker not matter how flawed I think his plan was actually had a plan. I am becoming a little disenfranchised in my fellow citizens right now. We seem to have lost the way the United States used to do things. We used to come up with solutions that worked for most of the people. There were always flaws, but in general we did good things. It seems like we are not doing anything really today. It makes me wonder if I am doing enough. Maybe I need to look at myself first before I criticize or get upset. At least I know tomorrow will come and I control my attitude. Hmmm.

* I saw the movie "Paul" with my best friend Ian yesterday. It was a sci-fi geeks dream movie that included some really good messages about friendship. The movie made me happy and lucky to have a best friend who always has my back even if he doesn't always agree with me or like all of my choices. We had a great conversation at dinner where we definitely were not seeing eye to eye, but we listened to each other. It was really good and made me enjoy our friendship even more. Now if I could just convince him to get rid of his cell phone. :)

No comments: