Friday, March 03, 2006

We're taking bets that Big Brother is watching...

I know that bullying is still a problem in schools today. It has become an even bigger issue because we now have cyber-bullying. Which is even worse because kids don't even have to be bigger or up front with someone, but can do it through an AIM screen name or on web pages. I think that kids today are even meaner than they were 40 years ago. Heck they are probably even worse than they were 5 years ago. So I am all for stopping this from happening, but I think it can go too far.

At a middle school in California a kid was suspended for posting an awful MySpace page about a girl in the school. He was suspended and the school is looking to try and expel him. I don't have any issue with this whatsoever. What I do have an issue with is the fact that 20 other kids were suspended for looking at the pages. Now nowhere in the article does it mention whether or not the kids made posts supporting the other kid so does looking at offensive material in your own home constitute a suspension? Just because they were friends of the site they were suspended. I am probably a little naive and don't realize that friends of bullies can be just as bad as the bullies themselves, but this seems a little out of bounds. Now what you look at in the privacy of your own home can cause you to get into trouble. I guess this is the world that we have created and there is no other way around it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a little late on the comments, but cut me some slack, I was away and it cost $5 billion to check email.

I haven't read the article or heard about it other than here, so I'm going on what you've said:

I don't agree with the suspension. If he truly just posted something saying, "Susie smells like poop" then he's simply expressing his opinion. Just like us on our blogs when we talk about a 50 year old painter or Pepe LaRue's bad breath.

But on the other hand, if he emailed her directly and started harassing her, that's different.

It's the double edged sword-freedom of speech-from the I hate the (insert racial group here) to the Peace Corp groups...they're all allowed to say what they want.