Tuesday, March 07, 2006

We're taking bets that Monday was a horrible day in history...

Two awful things happened yesterday. South Dakota governor Mike Rounds signed a bill abolishing almost every type of abortion in his state. Secondly, Kirby Puckett died of complications related to a stroke. I know that both of these things are not related, but they both happened yesterday and are extremely sad.

The abortion bill is specifically designed to challenge Roe v. Wade in the Supreme Court. Now that we have two more conservative justices there is a good chance that it could get overturned. It blows my mind that the court was progressive enough in 1973, but might not be in 2007 or 2008 when this case is finally heard. I just hope that people realize that everyone has a right to choose. I for one would choose life, if it was my decision to make or assist in making. I respect a woman's right to do what she wants with her body and it is tough for me that others cannot see that. It is difficult realizing that my faith in the US Supreme Court will be severely tested over the next few years. Sadly it is the one branch of the government that consistently gets it right, whether they make the popular decision or not. Hopefully that is the case this time.

“There are a lot of great players in this game, but only one Kirby,” pitcher Rick Aguilera said when Puckett announced his retirement. “It was his character that meant more to his teammates. He brought a great feeling to the clubhouse, the plane, everywhere.” Kirby Puckett grew up in poverty in Chicago as one of nine children. He was considered special by everyone that he encountered. He had fallen on rough times over the last three years and many people were worried about him. Hopefully now he is in a better place and roaming the outfield on the baseball team up in the sky. I for one will be TiVoing Sportscenter today to watch the inevitable Kirby montage. It really makes me sad that we lost one of the great ballplayers long before we ever should have.

This is an update at 9:33 am EST.

I think I may have to crawl back into bed. Christopher Reeve's widow Dana died today of lung cancer. She was a champion to people who have been afflicted with paralysis. She has left a 13 year old son behind at the age of 44. I just can't believe it. This has the makings of one of the worst weeks ever. :(

1 comment:

Nai said...

Nicely said, Madrid.

Ian