Thursday, September 13, 2007

We're taking bets that you are charitable...

Welcome WTBT readers!!! I hope you are having a great late summer day. It is a little chilly here in New England, but it feels great. Got to see Big Papi hit another walk-off home run last night. Quite an exciting experience. Here are a few questions for everyone. I hope you enjoy them. Have a great day!!!

A. You’ve won $50,000 – but have to give it all away. To which charity or institution would you donate it?

B. If you were going to name a foundation or charitable organization what would it be and why?

C. If you won $10 million what percentage would you give to charity.? (Imagine you got all the money and no taxes were taken out.)

Answers:

A. I would give it to the Alzheimer's Research Foundation because it is the one disease that frightens me most. I love my thoughts and memories and could not imagine losing them everyday. After seeing my grandmother go through it even though it wasn't fully diagnosed I want it cured.

B. It would be the Julia Dessereau Searching For Cures Foundation after my grandmother.

C. I would give 25% because I think that I could easily live well with only 75%. Hopefully this comes true one day. Oddly enough my grandmother had a dream that I would win the lottery one day. I didn't know this was completely grandma themed.

5 comments:

Danielle Athanas said...

A. All of it would go to St Jude's Children's Research Hospital (http://www.stjude.org). I am a huge believer in children getting a chance to enjoy their childhood, and the devastating diseases that these kids face lessen or destroy those chances.

B. It would be the Give Kids a Chance Chartiable Foundation. It would be similar to the Make a Wish Foundation, but I would also extend the opportunities to underprivleged children as well as ill children.

C. If I get it all without taxes? 50%. I can easily invest $5 million and live off of it for a while, for certain. Where would the $5 million go? $2.5 million to St Jude's, $500K to Make a Wish, $1 million to Shriner's Children's hospitals, and $1 million to start a scholarship fund for children survivors of cancer.

Carrie said...

A. Making Strides for Breast Cancer.. I'm walking in October like Mags is :) My mom had it when I was very small, and that time in my life created some very vivid memories.

B. The Blue Collar Education Fund, offering scholarships to those who don't qualify for the ones given to underpriveledged students, and maybe aren't academically astute enough to earn merit-based ones, or good enough at sports to get one of those. Everyone deserves the chance for a college education!

C. It's hard to put a percentage on it, but I'm sure it would be at least half. I'd want to provide a few things for my family, but everything that's left would be donated.

Maggie Moo said...

Well...technically you didn't get to SEE his home run... ;) That's not meant to be an inflamitory comment, as noted by the winky face.

A. I would donate it to Share Our Strength-a foundation that fights hunger, specifically in children. (12 million children will go to be wondering if they'll eat in the morning-heartbreaking)

B. This is something that I truly want to do one day, is to open a community center in an inner city which will have a community garden that people will take care of and harvest and have fresh food. It would also be a soup kitchen to help and have nutrition classes and would employee some of the people in the community. Someday...maybe "Common Ground"??

C. I think it would depend on how much my family and friends needed-college funds would be provided to my niece and sisters and probably seperate houses for my parents (LOL). Heck, I'd even buy you a car. I think it would end up beinga bout 50% like Danielle.

Maggie Moo said...

That would be:Inflammatory and Employ.

GMadrid said...

Well I guess I am a little greedy with only 25%.

Danielle - Excellent choices. Espeically the naming.

Asara - I love the concept for the Blue Collar Education Fund. It rings true with me being a college educator that we need more lower to lower middle class opportunities for education.

Lisa - Cool name. Don't worry about the spelling errors. I forgive because you can't use spell check.