Thursday, August 19, 2004

We're taking bets that the US Mens Basketball Team sucks

Well the US Mens Basketball Team(USMBT) almost lost again tonight. Until the next big thing Lebron James turned it on in the fourth quarter and they beat Australia by 10. Maybe it was because Gatorade made a new flavor for him (Flava23, no I am not making this up) and his contract said he had to at least beat the Aussies. Yes, that Australia. The country made up of ex-criminals. (Well not anymore, but they are spawns of criminals.) I will give anyone a shiny quarter if they can tell me the last Australian Basketball Star. I think he played for Seton Hall.

I think that Larry Brown should force the entire team into the theater on the QE2 and make them watch the movie Miracle, then The Rookie, then Hoosiers. After that he should make them watch Gigli and tell them that is what their career is going to be like if they don't shape up. Poor Ben Affleck, that dude can never catch a break. Then the USMBT might be able to understand how awful it will be if they don't win the gold medal.

I think the really sad thing is no one in the United States really cares about these players. I mean Tim Duncan is a God, but so is Carlos Arroyo and Puerto Rico is not going to win the gold with just him. We needed a Magic or Larry to come out of retirement and pump up this team. Even crusty old Kareen Abdul-Jabbar would make the US people care more about this team. It still seems like they are a whiny bunch. I bet you could get a team of guys from ESPN's Streetball and they probably could do better than our guys have.

It is all about pride and determination. I mean if that midget Charla on CBS's Amazing Race can carry a 100 lbs. slab of meat on her back through the streets of Maldonado, Uruguay then the USMBT can play a little defense. Hearing the National Anthem played for you and you alone while you stand on the podium with a gold medal may be the single most patriotic thing that can happen. USMBT please take after Carly Patterson, Paul Hamm and Tyler Hamilton... WIN THE GOLD MEDAL BECAUSE NO ONE THINKS YOU CAN!!!

1 comment:

Nai said...

I guess it is the reverse of rooting for the underdog...Here are these professionals...sucking. They have big time contracts waiting for them at home. I guess for me, and I know it is naive, as soon as someone makes more than say $500,000 for playing a sport, you have an advantage. All you have to do is play that sport. No day jobs to get in the way. So for me it is poetic justice that these people can't get it together because they lack the time as a team that the other countries have because they had to wait until the NBA season was over.

It is impossible for them to take after Carly Patterson, Paul Hamm and Tyler Hamilton because they are lacking what those three Olympians are missing, the underdog perspective.

Of course that is my opinion and I could be wrong...