Tuesday, November 02, 2004

We're taking bets that voting doesn't get much more ghetto than in Lowell, MA...

So I voted today in Lowell, MA. It was quite an experience as I voted in the Masonic Center near the Lowell Police Station. It was held in a big room with 4 tables, a built by High School Wood Shop voting boxes, and two voting machines. White women were everywhere running the show, which I think is funny because we have a high Cambodian and Hispanic population. These women were dressed like they were going to a football game and not like they were election officials. (They were all very nice, but I expected more like when I voted in Boston and everyone was dressed up.)

I gave my name to the nice ladies and they handed me an enormous ballot that had to be at least 11x17 (though I think it was bigger) and a Sharpie with no cap. (So I didn't steal it I guess) I went over to the voting area (imagine study cubicles in a library) and filled in the boxes. I did vote all Democrat, but in my defense there were only 3 races where I could actually decide and 3 races uncontested that were all Democrats. I then gave my name to another lady. She could not find my name in her enormous book of voters in Ward 2 Precinct 1. I showed her my ID and she didn't care to look at it, but just wanted to know what street I lived on. She finally was able to find it as she was looking at the wrong street number and couldn't find my name. I was then instructed to put the ballot in a big machine that I think could also guess your birthday and weight.

That was pretty much it. Then there was a lady outside bitching about how she was asked if she was a first time voter. She thought it was completely inappropriate and none of their "Damn Freaking" business. Thankfully no one asked me an inappropriate question because I would not have been prepared for that. I might have resorted to Jon Stewart tactics and called the person a "dick".

Hopefully we in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts will not experience any of the voter fraud that they will inevitably have in Ohio, Wisconsin and/or Florida. Though as I saw it definitely could be a possibility here in Lowell. Anyway, you have 12 more hours in the East... GET OUT AND VOTE!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg. I too had a Lowell Voting Experience today. It was my first one because I am now 21 and was 17 when the last election was taking place. There is nothing better than going to a lowell voting precinct because you feel like even though we think we're such a huge city and so big and bad, you really feel just how small we are and how much it takes to actually win something. I was looking at that machine (which actually did weigh me and tell me my birthday) I saw that I was the 377th person to vote in my precinct today and realized the huge team effort and felt united with a lot of people. (YAY Precinct 2 SOmething 8!) Anyway, just wanted to tell you thanx for voting and being part of the Lowell voting community ;)

Ang

Daniel said...

When I went to vote this morning, I saw a map of our precinct area. It appears that most of it is our apartment complex and some side streets. I thought that was interesting.