Saturday, August 06, 2005

We're taking bets that Chief Wahoo isn't upset so why is everyone else...

I have tried to figure out how to write this post without offending people and I finally figured there was no way to do this. I have spent a good time researching this topic and although I cannot claim that I am an expert I think I am now somewhat knowledgable. I will try to make this as funny as possible because I think it is ridiculous.

The NCAA is banning the use of American Indian mascots at all sanctioned Championship Tournaments starting on February 1, 2006. There are 18 teams in the NCAA that have team names that either honor American Indians or are just called Indians. Only one team uses the somewhat offensive term of Redmen although they may be named after America's Oldest Fraternal Organization the Improved Order of Red Men. I am not sure about that. Why have we become so freaking crazy about stuff like this.

I understand that one of the great things about being in America is that you can have your opinion and express it without fear of persecution. What I don't get is why we have gotten to the point where almost everything we do is offensive. I understand that over 100 years ago our American ancestors did a lot of awful things to the native people of this land. But now we have some places that are honoring their memory by naming their teams after them. Would people be complaining if there was a team named The Lincolns after Abraham Lincoln because he was assassinated? It would upset people because everytime you saw their mascot in a stovepipe hat you would think about his assassination and then the kids would giggle because assassination has the word "ass" in it twice. What if a college wanted to name their team after George Washington Carver and their mascot was a peanut? Would that be offensive even though the man found over 300 uses for peanuts.

I am glad that some of the teams are going to fight this ruling. The Florida Seminoles were named in 1947 to honor the Seminole Indians. They have even gotten permission from the Seminole Indian tribe to continue to use the name. I can't wait until the PETA people get a hold of this. What if all of the people from Troy rise up and protest the USC Trojans? What if the radical Catholics get confused and think it is offensive too because you shouldn't use condoms? Pretty soon all of our teams will no longer be able to have any person, place or thing as team names and it will be just concepts. I don't think I could root for the Boston Ideas or the Los Angeles Thoughts. I am adding this to the growing list of why the rest of the world hates the United States. We fight over the most ridiculous things. Well I am off to watch the Boston Red Sox. I hope that doesn't upset anyone who likes to go barefoot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Greg. My most favorite yet, very well written, and funny (peanuts! LOL)...and I agree, it is very sad when people, especially Americans, fight over things like words/names.

By the way, I think you have to change the name of your blog-I have a gambling problem and I can't handle your use of the word "Bets".

Anonymous said...

Interesting point, and I'm glad you pointed out the Seminoles in particular. I think the problem with team names relating to the Native people of America is when there is a negative image associated with it, i.e. a reinforcement of the stereotype of angry, war-like savages who are always making whooping noises. The same could be said about a team that "honors" Mexican-Americans, that has a logo of a large-mustachioed man with a sombrero covering his eyes who is always napping. Make that team name The Wetbacks, and there you have it. So, I think there are a couple different ways to go here. I think there's a point I made somewhere, and it may have even made sense.
You're right about having difficulty not being offensive in writing about this stuff, though. You did well, and I hope I did too!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% on this one. "Political Correctness" is getting out of control. Here's a reality that people are going to need to face: you are never going to make everyone happy, so stop trying. There's always going to be a group of people out there who protest something or who aren't happy with something.

In fact... I'm going to write to the Ritz company and protest their use of the word "crackers". As a caucasian, I take offense to that.

Anonymous said...

Of course, I would still say that some effort should be made to at least consider taking people's offenses to heart.
I certainly wouldn't ignore someone if they called me out and said I did or said something that could be considered offensive to a group of people.