Saturday, September 25, 2004

We're taking bets that driving courtesy is rare...

So I was driving through the City of Nashua, NH and the City of Lowell, MA today and I realized that driving courtesy is very rare. People don't want to let you in no matter how long it looks like you have been patiently waiting. I think that you could sometime sit in traffic for a hour with your blinker on and no one would care enough to let you in. Additionally, the guy behind you would be pissed because you haven't turned off your blinker and is wondering if you are ever going to turn.

Today I was in a situation 5 times where I needed some assistance to turn into a parking lot or onto a main road from a parking lot. Only twice was I given the wave across. The other three times I felt like I was going to die if I wasn't just perfect in my pulling out. Dale Earnhardt Jr. would have been proud of me. It did make me feel pretty proud of my driving skills, but should it feel like I am the Millenium Falcon trying to navigate an asteroid field without any help from Chewbacca? Absolutely not. (Sorry I have been watching the Star Wars DVD's a lot.)

When one lady and an elderly couple let me in I gave them a huge wave and the biggest smile I could. The lady then gave me a wave back, which totally threw me off guard. She was extra nice. Which led me to think "Maybe she got laid today." (That was one of my student's reason for their coach being nice to him yesterday.) Anyway, I think that my day is now better because of that lady. I might even let someone in the next time I see someone struggling to merge with traffic. We are all way too angry about things and our cars should be a haven for stress relief and speed. Give someone a wave and let them in. Please be nice to your fellow drivers because maybe it will stop road rage. At the very least being nice may help you get laid today. :)