Friday, September 10, 2004

We're taking bets that it doesn't get much better than this for New England Sports Fans...

Holy Mackerel!!! I always wanted to say that. So last night was the kickoff to the 2004 NFL Season and I am totally psyched!!! I am as giddy as a Star Trek geek meeting William Shatner. I mean all major sports are either starting or ending their seasons. There may not be a better time of year for sports. I challenge you to find one.

The New England Patriots won their 16 straight game over the poor Indianapolis Colts 27-24. It does not seem possible. Mike Vanderjagt(pronounced Van-der-jack) who is about as reliable as a bird pooping outside missed a game tying field goal with 20 seconds left. It doesn't get too much more exciting than that unless is was Adam Vinateri kicking a game winning field goal. (Which he would have made easily) Now the rest of the NFL has to try and top the most exciting game of the season. It may not happen, but I am sure looking forward to seeing if they can.

The Boston Red Sox lost last night and that is okay because the have won 20 of 22 games and are just looking to start another streak tonight. We are in the midst of two exciting playoff races in baseball. Next week the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry will go into full swing and make people forget about football for at least 3 hours. Then the playoffs start and the riots begin. (They was just a large gathering here in Lowell, but we like to call it a riot none the less.)

College Football is in full swing and I have tickets to see the UCONN Huskies play Duke tomorrow at Rentschler Field or the Wrench as I like to call it. UCONN will finally make college football exciting in New England. It may take about 3 or 4 more years, but they will consistently be going for the National Championship. Mark my words. (I always wanted to say that too.) Plus with USC, LSU and Oklahoma fighting it out for the national Championship this year it should be a great season. I also think now is the time to predict that Cal will win the National Championship. Crazy prediction I know, but I have a feeling.

Come early November College Basketball will start and we will get to see if UCONN can defend their titles. Oh yes I did say "titles" plural. The only person who has had that much success with two items at the same time is Ken Wahl(of TV's Wiseguy fame) with Playboy's Barbie Twins. Plus for us Lowellaputians we get to see if the UML Riverhawks can rebound from losing Division 2 National Player of the Year Elad Inbar. I think they can win the NE-10 again.

Now with the NBA, NHL (Maybe) and all college sports there is could not be a better time for sports. I love the fall. Ever year it puts me on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what is going to happen just like when I waited a few years to see what would happen to Han Solo after he was frozen. New England count your blessings because it doesn't get much better than this... UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!! :)

No comments: