Wednesday, February 22, 2006

We're taking bets that my Mom can beat up your Mom...

There is a great story on the newswires that everyone should read. A mom wrestles a bear to save her sons. This is an incredible story of love for your children. I know that my Mom would have tried to save me too. Although I think that she would have nagged the bear to death or asked it a thousand questions relating to people the bear didn't know anymore to confuse it so I could get away. Imagine being this mother's kids now. Your Mom wrestled a bear I don't think you want to get caught doing anything wrong. Just think about what she could do to you. I thought my Mom was tough but she has nothing on this lady. I do like that the lady did a John Candy impression from The Great Outdoors while she was in shock.

For those of you who may encounter a bear who wants to eat you the Nova Scotia government has these three pieces of advice:

1. "If the bear attacks you, FIGHT BACK!! Hit the bear with everything you have ...sticks, stones, your fists. Yell at the bear in a low gruff voice. This is contrary to advice for Grizzly Bear attacks where it is recommended to play dead." So basically before the bear attacks you do some introductions and find out whether the bear is a Grizzly or not. I have found that Grizzly Bears like to be called Sir or Madam.

2. "Avoid direct eye contact with the bear." There is nothing worse than disrespecting a bear. Always keep your head down and only speak when spoke to.

3. "If a bear follows you, continue to back away slowly, speaking in low tones. Climb a tree as a last resort since bears are excellent tree climbers." What exactly would you say in low tones? "Big Bear don't chase me please!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

4. Bribe bear with multiple jars of Honey, because Winnie the Pooh always told me that bears like honey. That oughta keep them occupied long enough for you to get away. Offer it up, of course, in low tones only.

Theresa said...

The bear story was awesome! I'd totally fight one too if it threatened my kids, that's why we don't go to the zoo.