Wednesday, October 17, 2007

We're taking bets that you have a choice in your own decisions...

Here are a few observations(I am on my soapbox a bit) that I have had the last few days...

* The Boston Red Sox are playing some of the most uninspired baseball I have ever seen the last two days. Of course Saturday night was a big letdown, but the fun team is now gone. Hopefully they can pick it up tomorrow or it is going to be a Cleveland/Colorado series. Which will probably be a lot of fun, but disappointing for me.

* One of my tasks in my job is as a conduct officer. It amazes me the amount of excuses students who have been caught doing bad things have. Most of the time it was not their fault. When do people realize that they have a choice in their actions? Does it come during college when I am trying to get through to them? Does it come when they have to pay for things on their own with out Mom or Dad's help? Responsibility is a hard thing for people to grasp, but I think that we need to do a stronger job with our children in teaching how to take responsibility for their decisions.

* Curse words are at the very least fun to say. That is why we use them so often. My friend Niamh forwarded me this article. You have to admit the article makes a lot of great points. What I wonder is how language has gotten so crude overall. I think that our acceptance of curse words in society has allowed people to include hate words as not that big a deal either. my favorite line in the whole article is on page three: "Language has often been called a weapon, and people should be mindful about where to aim it and when to fire." I don't think that there is a much more true statement than that. If we were more mindful about our language we probably would have a lot less people hurt by our words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you READ and LIKED the article!!! :)