Friday, December 10, 2004

We're taking bets that I can be a fan...

The last 24 hours have really rocked. There isn't much else to say about it. Okay there is a ton to say and here it goes...

I was The Runner for the Gavin DeGraw show at UMass Lowell today. That means I drive him and anyone from his posse (Yes he has a very impressive posse. No ladies that isn't code for something else. Ick.). Normally it is a pretty boring job except that I get to meet Gavin and talk to him for a little while.

Gavin by the way is very cool and down to earth. He really loves music and talked about Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Dave Matthews and fake music aka Teeny Bop Pop. He stayed for over 2 hours to sign autographs for fans and take pictures with them at the UML show. That is almost unheard of. He was very impressive and he really rocked. His music was fantastic and everyone seemed to have a great time. He was extremely funny and took time to talk to just about everyone.

Anyway, Gavin was playing Kiss 108's Jingle Ball at the Tsongas Arena before the show at UML. That means I got an ALL ACCESS BACKSTAGE PASS to the show. I bumped into Vanessa Carlton right after her sound check. I said hi, but she kind of ignored me. I guess if you were bumped into by me you probably would ignore me too. The I had dinner with Gavin and his manager Otto at the hospitality area. We then fought traffic and went over to the Doubletree Suites so he could do interviews. As we got their Gavin's song "I Don't Wanna Be" came on the radio. He totally cranked my radio and just listened to his song. Let me tell you how surreal it is to be in a car with someone and their own song is being played on the radio. I asked him if it was weird and he said it was but it was also really cool.

I then got to watch him do his set backstage. I stood with Tyler Hilton who was on WB's One Tree Hill who also sings. I then saw JoJo who is about 4'5" and dresses like a hussy. I don't think she realizes she is 14. I can't wait for her to go on stage touching herself and realize that she hasn't reached puberty. She also has a crew of 4'6" dancers that follow her around. Once Gavin finished we went to his dressing room were I saw the guys for Bowling for Soup a few doors down. While in Gavin's dressing room the guys from Switchfoot were just next door (actually on the other side of pipe & drape) acoustically practicing "Dare to Move." It was incredible.

I have a ton of other stories (Messing with Jenna & her friends, Shooting Hoops alone in a dark Rec Center, and spending time with my favorite person) I almost don't want to go to sleep. I can't believe that I got had this experience. I am not a person who fawns over famous people, but it was so neat to experience. Tomorrow I will return to be just an average RD who tries his best to make his staff and residents have a great time at college. But today I will cherish as one of the few days I truly had fun and smiled this semester and didn't have to be anyone but me. (Cheesy ending I know, but what the hell.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg,

I agree- Gavin is the balls! I got to chill on his bus for a bit. The fact that he stayed and signed autographs for hundreds of fans was quite impressive. Most of all he acted like each one of those people was the first person he spoke to that day.

At the end he actually made a special effort to go up to each & every officer and shake their hand & thank them for their efforts. He is the man...I think that I want to have his baby!! :-)

BWA

Anonymous said...

Spending time with an amazing friend and seeing him so happy while listening to some really cool muzak? Best holiday gift EVAH :)

Nai said...

Sounds really cool, GMad, really cool!

Nai

Anonymous said...

I still wish you had given me your pass so I coulda found Simple Plan and invited them out drinking, I mean c'mon if I had had Simple Plan with me, the fine laddddiieess would just be "all over my shit". hahaha.

Mark

Anonymous said...

it sounds like you had a really awesome night, which is great! everything you did sounds like so much fun! I hope you have many more fun times throughout the rest of the semester and over break, because a happy greg is a good greg :)

P McT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
P McT said...

Opps...I didn't know what that little trash can next to my post was for so I clicked on it and it removed the whole thing
HAHAHA