Thursday, December 09, 2004

We're taking bets that it is all a lie...

Okay, maybe everything isn't that bad, but I look back on the things we knew when we were children and so many things turned out to be a lie. Remember when Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Baseball Players were real. Three out of those four were imaginary by the time we were 12. (I was a fragile child and it took me a little longer to find out.) Now the fourth thing isn't real anymore either. Baseball Players are actually wrestler who are posing as home run hitters. Maybe everyone is taking steroids. What actually is real and what is fake anymore in professional baseball?

Why do we get told so many things that aren't true as a kid? Are we really going to break because we were given the truth? It is a shame. The next thing you know people are going to tell me that warm cookies and milk aren't good for you anymore. I miss the days of innocence when I actually was safe just by holding my mom or dad's hand. So many great things with so many lies. :(

2 comments:

P McT said...

I think parent tell kids lies because thats part of being kid. Now let me clarify on the lie, lies like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy are safe it adds to a childs imagination. Lies like, your father died in a car accident when in actuality mom shot him in the head, put him in a freezer, shipped him from CA to MA and put him in storage that should never happen!
But anyway I grew up knowing about Santa and all that but my mom never made me left me to believe the REALLY exsisted, I mean my cousins always said "Santa dont' come to the ghetto". Its not that we are lied to as kids, we are just told things that are easy to believe. Think about it if you are 5yrs old and your mom the woman who bandages your cuts and wipes food off your face with her spit, wouldn't you believe it if she told you some jolly guy who has reindeer brings presents to good kids...

Nai said...

You know what I think, that maybe we got it wrong. Maybe the kids have it right. Our parents never told us lies, they just got the mythology wrong. Take Santa, for example. Sure it is easy to disprove some of his traits. The traveling the globe in one night, the reindeer, all of that. But take away that, and what you have is a guy who looks out for the children and reminds us all about the good in human nature.

Just like any hero, or any one in the public eye, so much garbage gets mixed in with the facts, but I for one beleive in the idea of Santa, because he has never let me down when it comes to what is really important, which is all my parents ever told as I was growing up. Besides my parents always had his back trying to ensure his secret that maybe he didn't live up to the gift bringing hype. I can respect that.

As for sports figures, my parents never perpetuated that myth, so I have little perspective on that.