Wednesday, January 26, 2005

We're taking bets that all guys want to be Hunter...

First off I will be finishing Year Five on Sunday. There was a lot of controversy with Year Four and I want to make sure that I don't piss off everyone with this one. Or maybe I do want to piss off everyone. We will see.

Recently I have had to drive a lot in the snow. The roads overall have been pretty good considering that the DOT has had to do so much work. Though I think that Connecticut has missed the boat with its 7 part sand/2 part salt mixture as Massachusetts roads have been much better. Although they are probably killing the environment I feel much safer.

The most fun part about driving on the roads has been losing control of my car for a second or two at a time. Usually it involves fishtailing around a corner or in one case a 360 degree spin out on Route 5 with no one around. (Don't tell my mother or she will kill me. I am not sure if I can be grounded yet. :)) Each time I got quick control of the car and completely enjoyed myself while I was dealing with it. I contribute this enjoyment to the TV shows Hunter and The Dukes of Hazzard.

In every episode Hunter would do a 180 degree turn in the middle of a busy LA street. He had a shitty green car, but it would always perform that turn flawlessly. The General Lee was one of the coolest cars ever and it could jump anything or come out of any fishtail fine. It was amazing.

I think that most males would love to be able to do that on a regular basis. (Jon Victorine was even in a car that did that on the highway once.) If you missed your turn you could just tell your passengers that you were pulling a "Hunter" and everyone would brace for the turn. Now, I am not suggesting that everyone tries to do this, but you must admit it is fun when you go into that fishtail. You imagine that you are Jason Bourne trying to ellude the Russian Mob or you are trying to out run Cleatus to get home to your cousin Daisy Duke. (Gross I know, but it was the South in the early 80s.) So the next time it snows find a huge parking lot and do some fishtailing and 360's. It beats shovelling. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Controlled 180 turns on major highways are definately a must at least once in everyone's life. If Hunter's shitty green car doesn't do it for you, I highly suggest renting a Toyota Echo and abusing its emergency brake.

I've almost managed the 360, but that was by no means controlled.

Vic

Anonymous said...

Greg quick question when you're recapping on the years how come you didn't post about how Rosie got fired. Being that she was going to be your ARD and it did directly effect your life and it was made public knowledge when she got let go. Wouldn't it make sense to post about that too?

GMadrid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GMadrid said...

Great question. I missed that. Completely slipped my mind. She made a huge mistake with underage drinkers and almost got a ton of other RAs in trouble. Thankfully she did then because she was pretty burned out at that point anyway. Sorry I missed it.

Daniel said...

Coincidentally, I was remembering Fred Dwyer and his show "Hunter" recently, too. Anyone remember the name of his co-star and her character's name? Let me know.

Take care and keep in touch!

GMadrid said...

Stefanie Kramer as Dee Dee McCall!!! She was always getting physically abused or kidnapped. :)

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »