Tuesday, January 18, 2005

We're taking bets that it was a special time... YEAR FOUR

Here is Year Four. If you remember any stories and want to include them please post in the comments section.

Building: Donahue Hall
Dean of Student Life: Larry Siegel
Dir. of Res. Life: Annie Ciaraldi
Dir. of Res. Operations: Greg Wilder
Asst. Dir. of Res. Life: Derek Costa

RDs - B: Bonnie Maitland - C: Beth Willis - E: Barbara Gray - F: Lynn Kimball - L: Andy Lapp & Nick Piscitello Sh: Michael Puglisi - Sm: Michael Kerver

Well we added Lynn and Mike. You may have loved or hated Lynn, but I will tell you that she took crazy to a level I had not seen before. Within two hours of working with her she told us that she had major personal issues and loved to drink while she was at LSU. I then sat her down and told her that it was okay to go to bars/clubs in the area because we were adults and if there happened to be 21 & over students there it was okay. I was then deemed unprofessional for sharing this open and honest information. She never wanted any help and wasn't all that personable to the rest of the RDs. Thankfully she left mid year. Mike was an enthusiastic guy who wasn't quite ready for the RD job at Lowell. He did his best and he needs props for that. He started dating a RA within the first two weeks of school and came to me for advice. I directed him to GW and told him that honesty was the best policy. He decided against that and another UML fiasco ensued. Senior Staff didn't want him to date her, but the University Policy does not discourage it. We found out that Mike looked ugly in a dress and thankfully he lasted the whole year. He really did try and just wasn't cut out for the job.

Barbara and Kerver were great in Smith and Eames. Barbara was her usually quiet self, but loved by all. Mike was definitely military, but he was a great leader. Mike & Andy had a hate/hate relationship which made for numerous awkward staff meeting moments. Beth finally was in charge of Concordia and did a fantastic job. She also had a dating fiasco that would have gone a lot better if she had been honest with the bosses. Some basic advice for everyone... BE HONEST WITH EVERYONE BECAUSE THEY WILL ALWAYS FIND OUT!!!

Andy, Bonnie & I were the holdovers. We all had odd trust issues with each other, but we survived. Dane Cook opened up the year with a great show. He yelled at me as I was trying to give him directions. Everything worked out, but I thought I had offended someone that I actually idolized. BACHA was a blast at UML. The staff worked so hard and we got a ton of praise from other Universities. UML riots ensued during the Red Sox/Yankees series. They were pretty tame and I watched game 5 of the Oakland series with my upstairs neighbors because I thought my roof was going to cave in.

I found out that I was a problem all semester, but no one said anything to me. I still am not sure what I really did wrong, but Larry SCREAMING at me in a meeting changed how I worked second semester. Andy went to Fox to fill Lynn's spot and Nick took over in Leitch. Andy had a rough semester as did the rest of Fox with hot water issues. It was pretty awful. Nick did a great job considering he had no judicial experience. We had a great Spring Carnival kick off in front of Donahue with Tracy Morgan being as awful as he could be afterwards. Overall it was a pretty good year.

My Staff: ARD - Angela Kungulus RAs - Katrina Thompson, Chris Obara, Tricia Ryan, Paola Tarantino, Shannon Seidel, Mike Bonosaro, Corinne Mancevice, Jim Dineen, Jason Iovanna, Joey Martinez, Kendra Godzyk, Dianna Crowell, Mariel Tejada
Office Worker: Tess Buck

This was a pretty kick ass staff. Tricia, Dianna, Kendra, Jason, Mike & Mari came back from last year's great staff. Mari held up the fort on the 5th floor. She did a great job considering how many freshmen she had up there. Tricia took on the challenge of being a better RA, which she did an excellent job at. Mike returned from NJ and was a great RA. Probably better than the rest of his time combined. Dianna concentrated on getting a job which she did. Kendra and Jason were around for first semester, but circumstances led them to leave for different things. Jason became a DK brother. Still not sure if that was the best thing for him, but he seems to be doing alright.

Katrina did a fantastic job although she thought I was a horrible RD. No big deal there. She kept the party atmosphere up and was always involved in something. Chris was almost killed many times by the women on staff. I think that he benefitted most from being an RA. He definitely had his faults (paperwork, inserting his foot in mouth), but he did a pretty good job and we had some great supervisories about life. Paola was our already has a degree, but I am trying to be a nurse RA. She struggled but did much better second semester on the 4th floor. Shannon was the happiest person that I have ever met. She always made the staff smile. She was amazing considering how much she had to do with Track, RA and school. Joey became like a younger brother who I loved to pick on. He brought his "player" attitude to the staff even though he wasn't really a player. More of a pretty guy who liked to wax his eyebrows. Corinne was a pleasant surprise especially since we got off on the wrong foot the previous January. She was the most unique member of the staff and got a branding on her left arm. We talked through a ton of stuff and had a lot of fun together. Jim was the music/jock who grossed out the staff a lot. Change your underwear man. :) Then there was Tess our extra staff person who made our building better by putting up flyers and signs. I think she was in the office more than everyone combined.

Angela was one of the best parts of being in Donahue last year. No one really saw what I saw in her. She is absolutely amazing. She has a tough exterior and a heart of gold. We became excellent friends and she proved anyone who doubted her wrong. She is still just "SPECIAL" to me.

We had a great time in Da Hue whether it was having the least amount of damage in the history of Donahue to dealing with "Riots" in Lowell. Plenty of nights out at the Olde Court and tons of fun at staff meetings. Donahue was the place to be.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what gives you the right to talk about other peoples personal lives. Have you ever thought that maybe they wouldn't appreciate this information being public? For once stop and "TURN THE CRYSTAL" because the things that you are saying about your former staff members can be considered inappropriate.

GMadrid said...

You may be right, but to be honest I think that I have left all of the truly inappropriate stuff out. Nothing in here wasn't pretty much public knowledge or something directly effecting me. I have a right to talk about anything that deals with my life. You can feel free to e-mail me directly if you have an issue you would like to speak about at gmad0720@gmail.com. As I stated previously honesty is the best policy and since you are obviously a past or present UML res lifer you know about that. Sorry that this has upset you. Don't read it next time.

Anonymous said...

Since you believe "honesty is the best policy" it's obvious why you must feel the need to talk about other peoples personal lives. It's because your life has become so pathetic that you must life off other people's lives. I'm sorry to come off rude Greg, but what your doing in these journal writings are neither fun nor funny, they are hurtful.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on. To whoever is writing these comments to Greg, give me a break. Obviously YOUR life is pathetic and YOU have something to be ashamed of, because why else wouldnt you want him to write about you? He only mentiones brief passages on each person, nothing that he could have wrote could have offended you this badly. It's his journal and like he said, if you dont like it, dont read it. But please grow up.

Anonymous said...

WOW, are people pathetic...that saddest thing is that anyone who was a UML Res Lifer knows who you are (and who you're pissed off for or about) and frankly we all know that people made some decisions about their personal lives, and made things uncomfortable for other staff members, and other res lifers who knew about the relationship, so if you have guilt about what you put people through then stand up and say "I made this choice, and I'm sticking by it" by lying for a year, having your staff lie, and then miraculously your boyfriend gets a promotion.. come on now everyone knows what's up, and frankly you have no right to be pissed. Greg can wirte whatever the hell he wants in his blog...it's A BLOG!

Anonymous said...

I guess I feel like I should post something even though I think this is completly stupid. This is Beth, and for everyone that has just apparently ripped me apart in this blog, I haven't been the one to comment on Gregs blog, I don't know who did, but I would appreciate people not dragging me into this. I didn't comment on this, I chose to go the higher road and just ignore it. So whoever "assumed" i was writing those comments I didn't and I'm pretty offended because most people do not even know the complete story of what happened to me last year, and not one SINGLE person as ever had the honesty to confont me on it, so while everyone is talking about honesty, you really should come forward and talk to me about it and maybe I can clear a few things up for you. Otherwise, I really would just appreciate people not talking about my personal life in public forums, it's my business my decisions and Im sure all of you wouldn't appreciate your personal lives being spread for all to see, ESPECIALLY when you are trying to be above it. I'm sorry if some of you feel negative towards me, but confront me on it, I'm more than happy to talk to anyone about what happened to me last year as it was a great learning experience for me. I know I made mistakes and I admitted them, but let me make it clear, in no way did Jay get a promotion due our relationship, if anything that hindered it, he got it on his own strong merits and I think many people can agree with that, and I'm sorry if others can't. I really just wish my personal life didn't get spread for all to see so all this happened, I honestly have gotten more shit for it in the last 24 hours, when I really have more important things, like being very ill and recovering from a serious surgery. So please leave me be. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I guess I feel like I should post something even though I think this is completly stupid. This is Beth, and for everyone that has just apparently ripped me apart in this blog, I haven't been the one to comment on Gregs blog, I don't know who did, but I would appreciate people not dragging me into this. I didn't comment on this, I chose to go the higher road and just ignore it. So whoever "assumed" i was writing those comments I didn't and I'm pretty offended because most people do not even know the complete story of what happened to me last year, and not one SINGLE person as ever had the honesty to confont me on it, so while everyone is talking about honesty, you really should come forward and talk to me about it and maybe I can clear a few things up for you. Otherwise, I really would just appreciate people not talking about my personal life in public forums, it's my business my decisions and Im sure all of you wouldn't appreciate your personal lives being spread for all to see, ESPECIALLY when you are trying to be above it. I'm sorry if some of you feel negative towards me, but confront me on it, I'm more than happy to talk to anyone about what happened to me last year as it was a great learning experience for me. I know I made mistakes and I admitted them, but let me make it clear, in no way did Jay get a promotion due our relationship, if anything that hindered it, he got it on his own strong merits and I think many people can agree with that, and I'm sorry if others can't. I really just wish my personal life didn't get spread for all to see so all this happened, I honestly have gotten more shit for it in the last 24 hours, when I really have more important things, like being very ill and recovering from a serious surgery. So please leave me be. Thanks!

GMadrid said...

Basically this stupid blog has gone a little too crazy. Whoever wrote about Jason getting a position because of Beth is completely wrong. Jason earned his position just like all the rest of the ARDs did. To even suggest that is totally wrong.

This was never meant to start any angry discussions. I am asking everyone to get over this and not write anymore negative comments toward anyone other than me. Beth never should have gotten any shit for this and obviously I am the one who deserved to. I am very sorry to Beth & Jay because I never meant to hurt them. Anyone else who was offended get over it because it could have been worse. I will still write whatever I want to because it is my blog. If you don't like it don't read it.