Friday, January 21, 2005

We're taking bets that we are being attacked by gay cartoons..

I am a proud Catholic. Despite all of the problems we have had lately with priests and closing churches I like being a Catholic. I also believe that with religion you do not have to agree with everything that your particular religion subscribes to. I think it is ridiculous priests can't be married or women for example.

So when I read that Christian Conservatives are "coming out" against a video about diversity and tolerance because the underlying theme is that it is okay to be gay it mad me upset to be a Catholic. Now I know that it isn't only Catholics, but they are definitely a part of this. Why does everything need scrutiny like this. It has "pro-gay subtest"? What the hell does that mean? Maybe I am too liberal or being from Massachusetts has clouded my judgment, but I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I think that the Christian Conservatives should be concerned about the sexual connotations in SpongeBob Squarepants, but not that he has gay subtest. (Though I Googled "SpongeBob Squarepants Gay" and got 175,000 hits.)

This has gotten out of hand. There have been gay cartoon characters for years. I mean Heckle and Jeckle, Chip and Dale, Snagglepuss and Big Bird? The whole idea of this cartoon is to promote tolerance and diversity. If that means that children will be more tolerate of the gay population then I say let them watch it everyday if we have to. The Christian Conservatives have the right to believe what they do, but I think in this case they need to get a life and go "fear monger" somewhere else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if I had to pick on Sesame Street's gay population, I think Bert & Ernie are definitely closer to living in P-town than Big Bird and Snagglepuss... Those two have a more transexual issue going on. I mean a 6' tall bird and a hairy looking elephant? Now that's freaky.

GMadrid said...

No No No. Snagglepuss was the pink cat character that was always saying "Exit Stage Left" and "Heavens to Mergatroid". He was in the theater therefore there is a high chance he is gay. Stereotype! :) Snuffleupaguss is 100% heterosexual. Barry White even.

P McT said...

Snagglepuss was the first proud and out gay cartoon, I mean for christ sakes he work a stylish hat and a scarf tied around his neck!!!
I can't say I belive Bert and Ernie were gay, Bert maybe but Ernie was a hetero...played with his "rubber duckie" a little too damn much!

Now I too am catholic, catholic elementary and high school and all the sacraments I need to date, but there are times when it is really hard to defend the religion that cannot simply admit when things have gone array!!

Anonymous said...

Dont Forget Vanity Smurf!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »