Saturday, January 15, 2005

We're taking bets that it just got better... Year Two

Here is Year Two. If you remember any stories and want to include them please post in the comments section.

Building: Leitch Hall
Dean of Students: Ellen Duggan aka THE NUN
Dir. of Res. Life: Larry Siegel
Asst. Dir. of Res. Life: Annie Ciaraldi & Greg Wilder

RDs - B: Bonnie Maitland - C: Emily Neal - D: Renee Gately - E: Diana Rita - F: Derek Costa - Sh: Barbara Nardone - Sm: Andy Lapp

Costaface got the big promotion and Bonnie came into our lives. Diana Rita was a huge waste of time. She was a nursing major who did Peace Corp stuff and had no clue about what to do. Thankfully Eames was in a good place. Barbara had moved to Sheehy and we started our second year together. I bet Larry that Derek would make some major mistakes in Fox (Which he did), but he did an unbelievable job overall and won the RD of the Year. Thankfully we moved Drewpac to Smith and he did a pretty good job there although he worked 50 hours a week at Hannaford and was taking classes. We had three scandals. Two firings of an RA in Donahue. One person people liked and the other people didn't. Then we had the Sheehy fiasco that Barbara took so much shit for. She supported her staff so much, but in the end she supported Res. Life because it was her job. I don't think some people ever forgave her and for that they should be ashamed. I also had a knock down drag-out fight with Dean Duggan. I told her she treated RDs like shit and should be respectful of them. It got so bad that Larry had to come in because he thought she was going to kill me. It made things better for every RD, but me. Thankfully she decided to retire. :)

Bonnie was quite a talker and never ever seemed to get upset. It was a big difference for us all. We didn't really get along all that well as we ran our buildings very differently. We've had our ups and downs, but we have put it all past us now.

My Staff: ARD - Danielle Cochrane RAs - Bryan Wint, Christopher Geen, Tim Kahlert, Sebastian (Wesley) Benjamin, Nick Piscitello, Dan Chandonnet, Michael Griffin, Bob Bailey, Dave Silen, Nick Parisi, Ryan Donaher, Jose Mercado, Shaunna Vargas, & Rosie Lankowski

We had an absolutely kick ass staff. My first one I hired here at Lowell. There was a ton of drama just a few days into the semester. We "broke into" the Bourgeois Office and planted hundreds of balloons. Some of them had baby powder in them. Tim the Ninja was born. We then had the mysterious car break-ins as a retaliation. To this day not many people really know what happened with that.

We truly became a staff during that crisis. It helped us when 9/11 happened and everything changed in all of our lives. Parents wanted Fox evacuated because it was an obvious target of terrorism. My first phone call was to Barbara. Once I found out she was okay and her family was alright I could breath again. We caught kids smoking pot because it had stressed them out. We had candlelight vigils and watching the news became a part of college students lives.

My brother and sister came to visit for the one and only time together. We bowled and my brother and Rosie hit it off. Too bad she still had a boyfriend. We had a very special student in Olivia who caused us a great deal of stress and is probably one of our biggest success stories four years later. I will always be proud of how Danielle, Rosie & Shaunna handled her issues.

Nick continued to be an awesome RA and he built the BINGO machine. I owe him a lot for that and I don't think he will ever know how much. He is one of those people with a great smile and just make you feel lucky you got to know him. Bob Bailey was a unique individual and had the best pants. Sebastian kept the staff chill with his great sense of humor and his wonderful poetry.


I also got the privilege of working with two awesome people in Michael Griffin "GRIFF" and Bryan Wint "BIGGY". They both were excellent in their own unique ways. Griff was like my little brother. He still is to this day. Biggy became one of my instant favorites because he loved to challenge me and we had so much in common. He has my utmost respect to this day and will always be someone I consider to be a great friend.

As the semester went along we had a lot of fun until an incident happened in late November. I unfortunately had to fire Jose. That may have been the hardest day I have ever had as an RD. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think about the sadness we both endured. Thankfully he did not hold any grudges and is still a friend today. We got to hire Geen who brought smiles to all of our faces.

Second semester we hired Ryan, Nick and Dave. Dave was my biggest mistake ever and led me never to trust hiring an RA I did not interview. He almost single handedly took the building down. We put up with so much shit especially from Kunal. He is one of the few people that I would mind still strangling. :) Ryan was another story. He did a great job and found his soulmate in Shaunna. They got engaged recently and I couldn't be happier for them. He also found a great friend in Biggy. Nick came to us from Smith Hall. He was a freaky dancer and gave weird massages, but we loved him none the less. No one knew then that he would overcome any obstacle and be successful in UML Res. Life.

It was our first ever try at Training in the Tsongas. No one got hurt bad that time. There also was a naked guy running through the 4th floor. We also had the shooting during Spring Training Right on the corner of University Ave & Pawtucket Street. I walked home from the banquet. (Which was at Lenzi's) That day marked the beginning of the end. :( The nice thing was that other than my staff no one really knew I was gone. I learned I was going to move to Donahue and another chapter would begin.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a whole bunch of great memories/stories that I'll sum up for ya that I dug up:

Griff in a Bag, The Beer Pyramid by Griff and Biggy complete with Jose's Sign, Thanksgiving, Biggy's just John Williams conducting that shit, Retreat at Black Bear - complete with Pool Wrestling, Sauna, Hot Tub, Small Obnoxious Children, and Fireworks, Tim somehow getting Rosie's PJ's on Retreat, Secret Santa/ We'll Miss You Nick party in which he left his spirit with each of us in the form of Screwdrivers, the addition of Crazy Uncle GDub, Greg not leaving the office for RD Appreciation Day Decorating, Spring Carnival: Four feet in the shower, lost cell phone number and a bottle in the office, Nick had game 7:23:40 on 4/25, The discussion of the "Perfect Man", Biggy begging Barbara to get his personals in and even saying he was a Yankees fan, and of course... Dalli's Sausage Fest.

Greg - thanks so much for everything that you did that year to support all of us, especially those of us up on the 4th floor. We went through a lot that year and you were very supportive of us from day one. I know that at least I would not have made it without you. And, on a more personal note, I want to thank you for everything you've done for me. You became more than just a supervisor that year, you became a friend and a big brother. You're the best!! Thanks, RD! :-)

- ARD (Danielle) :-)

Anonymous said...

Man, that really was my best year in college, and the Leitch peeps were the reason for that. Danielle did an excellent job hitting the good times. Although, we can't forget Tecmo Bowl, Organized Road Rage, Dual Cop Pullover action (Can they DO that?), Ryan Shaunna and Rosie going "off-campus" the night all the over 21 peeps were at the Brewery, Rosie taking me all over the damn building for Secret Santa, hotornot, Rosie "naked" in the tub, Picked up a best friend in Nick, Pimped in Socks, Donaher setting off his car alarm from his room when people were near it, oh man the list goes on.

We're Taking Bets that...Volumn Griff
- Greg will be missed when he is gone
- Greg will take Eric Wilbur's job blogging at Boston.com because Wilbur sucks ass.
- Everyone in Leitch that year was changed for the better because of Greg
- Very Few of the people on that staff would say it wasnt the best year of thier lives
- Dave Silen is still a moron.
- Greg will do just fine post-Res Life
- I'm not very good at this WTBT, but thats why its Greg's hobby and not mine.

To my Big brother - I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand that this is whats best for you. You have helped me in more ways than you will ever begin to fathom.

~Lil Bro Griff

Anonymous said...

Man, L4L that was a long time ago, but many great memories. Before I even interviewed for Res Life, I was called by Barbara during Winter Break and asked to join her staff in Bourgeois... i asked her for a favor and since she couldn't fulfill that promise i turned down the position. Luckily, i was hired by Greg for what turned out to be a great Leitch Staff.

I don't have to go over the memories cuz Yellie and Griff pretty muched covered it, but that was my best year at this University. I got to work with so many great people and also made a ton of friendships along the way.

Greg mentioned that we challenge each other, i'm not sure if that's true. I think I've asked a lot him and he's always pushed me to do better. Even though I appreciate him (you) for everything you've done for me, there were sometimes i wanted to slap you in face with a Goodyear.

Example, during one staff mtg, Greg made fun of me on the agenda for the second week in a row. I was already having a bad day and since i had asked him not to make fun of me in the agenda the prior week, i let him know of my displeasure... by basically cursing him out infront of the staff. If he remembers, he responded sternly by saying "Bryan, if you want to leave leave!" I asked if he was "fucking serious?" He basically responded with the same comment...

The whole staff was shocked! I could tell because Greg and I were in stare down for what seemed to be at least a solid minute...more like 5 maybe 6 seconds. No one said a word, even Tim who was never at a loss for them. Also, by the look on Shaunna and Rosie's face, I think they were preparing to scream because Greg and I were close to throwing down in my opinion. However, a smarter Bryan prevailed and I reluctantly took my big glass of shut f up and sat down. I didn't say a word for the rest of staff mtg.

Right after staff mtg, I asked Greg to talk in his apartment and we had a brief discussion and basically laughed it off. I was still "feeling" Greg out and he was just messing with me. But he also got across that even though we were 2 big guys in one building, it was his game and i was just player in it :O)

Greg has a strange leadership style, which conflicts strongly with how I would do things, but i've learned from it and hopefully in whatever is in my future i can take from it and create a style all my own.

Greg brought me into the game and hired me pretty quickly and saw potential in me when others didn't so i'm greatful for it, but he's bigger than this place and is on his way to greater things.

Shout out to the L4L 01/02 Still my favorite year on staff :O)

Anonymous said...

I just told my staff about the great ballon office/car fiasco and they thought it was hillarious....

Speaking of that last night after the brew...I can't believe noone mentioned MARSHMALLOWS!!!

I liek this reminiscing thing it's cool....

Griff and I will tell you, Dave has one good quality...her kept his mouth shut when it counted the most :-P

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to state that even though you think no one knew you were gone except your staff, you are wrong because I noticed you had left. I knew something had to be seriously wrong, and was also dissapointed you weren't there even though I wasn't on your staff at the time.

Anonymous said...

Greg and my favorite L4L crew-
I almost forgot what a great time that year was. It was such a great feeling to have such a amazing staff. You guys were the best! I never had so much fun just hanging out in the staff office. Truly, some of my favorite memories come from you guys and that year. The friendships that were formed, the support that was given, and the fun times that we had will always make me look back on that year and smile, just like I did when I read everything that Greg (and all of the comments) had to say about it.

Some other great memories I have to add: Danielle watching bad dating TV; playing Tetris and Mario Cart in the office; Dave insisting that "every exit has a number"; Ryan's 'Ron from Texaco' prank on Biggy (kill kill kill...); my boxer April Fools prank on Ryan; Tim and the 'Leitch fist of rage'; our Leitch reunion; the purple gloves club; coming back from classes and 'quickly' stopping into the office, but somehow ending up staying for hours; and Griff in a bag part 2 (somehow even more funny than part 1)!

Thanks to all for that great year!

Leeeeiiiitttccchhhh!!!!!

-Shaunna =)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work kitchen cabinets orange county california Decks patios driveways hollansburg ohio Long beach celebrex attorney Extreme agitation weening off lexapro Globaltel international conference calling Free trial on acuvue colored contact lenses garrett s cooper high school football star Meridia 37.5 mg