Sunday, April 24, 2005

We're taking bets that alma mater is becoming a bad word...

Both of the schools that I have graduated from have received some very bad press the past two weeks. South Windsor High School had an incident regarding gay rights and Western New England College had an incident regarding bigotry. Both of these issues are very disturbing to me.

I don't have much to say but I do think they were handled very badly. While I don't agree with the High School students actions I think that they had a valid right to display them on t-shirts which were not vulgar or distasteful. The administration made a very poor choice in dismissing them from school for the day.

In the College situation I think that this incident has been blown way out of proportion. Because WNEC is so white dominated it will never look like they did the right thing in race issues. I don't know the sanctions that occurred to the students but it seems like nothing but dismissal would be acceptable to the opposing groups. Is that the educational thing to do? Colleges and Universities should be educating students with their discipline not taking education away from them.

People say that we have evolved from the 1960's but I think in some ways we have gotten worse. The big problem is our students aren't protesting anymore they are just complaining and getting lawyers to fight battles. Bigotry will always be around and until people truly open their minds to others we will not have evolved. Ideas and opinions should be what bring us together not what pull us apart. I apologize for the heavy subject, but I needed to vent. Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Black chicks hardcore sex