Tuesday, October 25, 2005

We're taking bets bravery comes in many forms...

Most people will remember that Rosa Parks as one of the icons of the civil rights movement in the 50's and 60's. Although it was really a minor act of bravery most of us would not have the courage to do what she did in 1956. She sat down in a white person's section of the bus. It sounds so ridiculous to hear even today. I know that racism and bigotry happens in all shapes and sizes even today. I went to a Big Y in Springfield and a man was outside trying to get people to sign his petition so that there would be a vote in Massachusetts regarding gay marriage. I am pretty sure that he was against gay marriage and probably was as bigoted as they come. I was proud of myself, when I told him that I was in favor of the current policy in Massachusetts and hoped it stayed that way. My bravery was definitely smaller than Rosa Parks, but I would never had said that 10 years ago. Probably not even five years ago. Maybe by the time I reach Rosa's age of 42 I will be as brave as she was then.

A few years ago the movie Barbershop came out and there was a lot of controversy regarding some statements made about Rosa Parks and others. The character Eddie said, "There are three things that Black people need to tell the truth about. Number one: Rodney King should've gotten his ass beat for being drunk in a Honda a white part of Los Angeles. Number two: O.J. did it! And number three: Rosa Parks didn't do nuthin' but sit her Black ass down!" People were upset because they said it was tainting the act that she did. I actually applauded the movie for keeping that part. It allowed thousands and maybe even millions of Americans to look at Rosa Parks again and realize how great a thing she did. Maybe Eddie was right and all she did was sit down, but she sat down with a purpose. She probably never intended on being a civil rights icon, but there she was. For the past 49 years she has shown that bravery comes in many forms and you need to find it in yourself to be brave everyday and stand up for injustice. Injustice is a part of our every day society and we need more people like Rosa Parks to make the United States a better place.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I absolutely agree. When I heard that Miss Parks had died, all I could say was 'thank you.' I am sure our country would have come around to see that all people are/should be equal regardless of the shade of their skin, who sleeps next to them, or which God they pray to, but Miss Parks helped the process to speed up.

My hats off to her!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to read your writing again.

Great post.

P McT said...

Watch out Greg, the NAACP might try to recriut you with a posting like that (JK,you don't have enought rhytm)(JK again!!)
;)
Good Post!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... http://www.270-count-didrex-canada.info/didrex-diet-pill-online-information.html Home remedies for cleaning urine out of mattresses Amateur malaysia radio utara celexa and withdrawal Importer stationery paper product boating cross lake minnesota Neurontin ic ibs migraines insomnia Calorie daily intake lose weight Eyewear frame jobs Lamborghini modena Order phendimetrazine prescribe on line 2002 oldsmobile bravado 30mg information seroquel