Wednesday, October 26, 2005

We're taking bets that Sheryl Swoopes is Rosa Parks for the new millenium...

It has finally happened. A major professional athlete has come out of the closet and is proud to be gay. Thank God for Sheryl Swoopes. Being a dreaded Massachusetts liberal I am sure that no one is surprised I am happy by this. I do think that this is a great thing and I am glad that she finally was brave enough to come out. Now when will this happen in a men's sport.

Most of you are probably saying that it will never happen. Sadly, I believe that it might not happen in my lifetime and I plan on living at least another 60 years. We know that at least 1 in 10 people are gay. That means approximately 60 baseball players, 30 men's basketball players, 120 football players and every male figure skater is gay. (Okay that last one was a joke and here is the article to prove it.) It is sad that males consider themselves so much better than women in so many things, but it is much easier to come out as a lesbian than it is a gay male. I do hope one day a prominent male athlete comes out and allows all of the gay men that already admire him have one more thing to look up to him for. I for one am voting for Derek Jeter. I mean come on that guy is still single? What is the deal with that?