Monday, June 13, 2005

We're taking bets that this is why I love Boston sportswriters...

I know that being a New England fan of Boston teams can make some people sick. I know that we are too into our sports sometimes and don't give our teams the best support when they are down. We can be crazy, but it brings us together as a community. For many people when the Red Sox won last year we had a great weight lifted off of us. When we looked on the previous 86 years we had to take small victories instead of a big victory. That is why the '67 Impossible Dream Season is so special. Our most cherished victory during defeat is Carlton Fisk's Home Run in the '75 World Series. It was probably the greatest World Series ever and many people forget that the Cincinnati Reds won because all you ever see is Fisk's Home Run. Well now some Reds fans are pissed that the Red Sox are honoring Fisk and naming the left field foul pole after him. FUCK THEM!!! Just because they are in the cellar and still have Ken Griffey Jr. is no reason to be mad. You won the World Series that year and in '76 and in '90. Let us have our moments. I think Eric Wilbur of the Boston Globe puts it best. Read his article and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

The Reds used to be called the Red Stockings, which is quite a similar name to the Red Sox.

GMadrid said...

Dammit Dan. You pointed out I was an idiot. I forgot about that. I guess I should change the Article Title. :) Thanks for the info.