Wednesday, June 22, 2005

We're taking bets that we still need a boy and his tiger...

Calvin and Hobbes was one of the greatest comic strips ever. This is with beyond a doubt one of the truest statements that I have ever made. One of the saddest days of my life is January 1, 1996 when the last strip was run. I know that sounds awful when things like 9/11 have happened, but I think a little bit of our innocence died on that day. So many bad things have happened since that day and I think we need Calvin back to rescue us in his Spaceman Spiff suit.
Calvin was an inventor, philosopher, creative genius, poet, and trouble maker. Hobbes was his conscience, best friend, and lady killer. Although there are some great comic strips currently out there today no one has quite captured what Calvin and Hobbes had. I think it makes kids today a little more jaded not having someone to look up to and admire. His way with words made me a little smarter. I don't know how many times I had to go to a dictionary to figure out what a word he said meant. We are missing out on the great wisdom that Calvin and Hobbes once brought to our world. The Runaway Bride would have had learned things from Calvin and not been so stressed. The Lost Boy Scout wouldn't have been so afraid of his rescuers. Maybe life would be a little less stressful and scary. Please Bill Waterson bring back Calvin and Hobbes into our daily comic strips. Maybe I am the only one who misses it, but I can't be. Below are a few of the greatest quotes.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless." - Calvin

"If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!" - Hobbes

"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin

"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams we can play together all night!" - Hobbes

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" - Calvin

4 comments:

Micah said...

Calvin and Hobbes was a great comic strip. Honestly, with the demise of that one, "The Far Side," and "Bloom County," I completely lost interest in the funny pages. There was no logical successor to any of those. Shame.

I'm sure you know, but this fall The Complete Calvin and Hobbes will be released. Doubtful that I'll have the coin available to pick it up (it's a bit pricey), but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. (Of course, I say the same thing about the complete Far Side and Peanuts collections.)

Duke_of_Earle said...

I join you in you lament for the genius of Calvin and Hobbes. I also mourned the passing of Rick O'Shay. Scott Adams (Dilbert) is one of the few remaining comic strip geniuses, in my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info real estate listing gangbang