Sunday, June 12, 2005

We're taking bets that you would love to be eight again...

This weekend I read Harlan Coben's Book Just One Look. It was an excellent book as Coben is a master of surprise endings. The character's are fantastic. He has a series of detective type books and stand alone novels, but the great things is that each book is living in the same world and they reference people from other books. What struck me as so great in this book was this passage between the main character and her eight year old daughter. It does not ruin anything in the book, but made me smile from ear to ear. I am pretty simple like that. I would probably give up a lot of things to be eight years old again. So people would probably say I act that way anyway. :) Well I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

They sat down to breakfast. "Mom?"
It was Emma. "Yep."
"When you and Dad got married..." She stopped.
"What about it?"
Emma started again. "When you and Dad got married--at the end, when the guy said no you may kiss the bride..." "Right"
"Well" --Emma cocked her head and closed one eye-- "did you have to?"
"Kiss him?" "Yeah."
"Have to? No, I guess not. I wanted to."
"But do you have to?" Emma insisted. "I mean, can't you just high-five instead?"
"High-five?" "Instead of kis. You know, turn to each other and high-five." She demonstrated.
"I guess. If that's what you want."
"That's what I want, " Emma said firmly.

Even now as I am typing it I am smiling. It is sad sometimes how the littlest things make me so freaking content. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg! Harlan Coben is our shared mystery author =) Did I get you into him, or did you get me into him? I forgot. Anyway, I just read it too and that passage did make me smile. Emma's poems are good too, she's a cutie.
-Ang

Anonymous said...

I dont think it is sad how happy little things can make a person- I just bought a new filter for my Brita pitcher, and a bottle with one of those removable cores full of gel that you can freeze to keep your water cold.I drink alot of water, this has made me happy, very very happy. I almost cried at the end of the move remake of Fat Albert (actually I am considering seeking help for that one). I think if I didnt take hapiness in the simple things, I would be sad alot, and noone likes a downer.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »